In collaboration with DNV GL, Lerøy has developed the product certification protocol «STP 86 Salmo Salar». The specification shows that Lerøy Salmon complies with a higher standard for quality and sustainability than today’s seafood industry standard for Norwegian salmon.
Salmon produced according to STP-86 has, among other things, a higher content of omega-3 than the Norwegian industry standard, zero use of antibiotics, zero escape and full traceability.
- Lerøy has for a long time made conscious, responsible and sustainable decisions in the choice of feed ingredients and in the production of salmon throughout the whole value chain, says Henning Beltestad, CEO in Lerøy Seafood Group
- We wanted to have these choices verified by a third-party company. Several of the choices, and the sum of them, make Lerøy Salmon certified with STP 86 stand out from what is today the industry standard for farmed salmon.
The entire value chain of Lerøy, from fish, including feed, to fish carrier boxes is audited by a third party, to ensure that all requirements in STP-86 are complied with. STP 86 is a product certification that contains a tracking component that will ensure that all the criterias are complied with.
- There is an increasing demand for traceability from customers and consumers. Independent certification to robust standards helps companies build necessary trust into product characteristics and promises, says Luca Crisciotti, CEO of DNV GL-Business Assurance.
- Our fish are fed with alternative raw materials (microalgae, insect meal and camelina oil)
- Zero use of salmon oil
- Zero use of ethoxyquin
- Zero use of blood meal from land animals
- Full traceability of feed ingredients
- Farms certified with ASC or GlobalGAP
- Full traceability via Fishtrack
- Survival rates
- Zero use of antibiotics
- Zero use of chitin inhibitors
- Zero escapes
- GFSI Food safety certification
- Omega-3 level above 2.9 g/100 g
- EPA/DHA levels above 1 g/100 g
- Omega-6/Omega-3 ratio below 1
- PCB & PCB-like dioxin levels below 0.5 ng/kg
If only one of these criteria are not met, the salmon cannot be sold with the «STP 86 Salmo Salar» certificate.
Read more: Lerøy Salmon™